Tuesday, November 9, 2010

DAILY PRACTICE

What is the value of daily practice, day in and day out, year after year, decade after decade?  Graeme Northfield responded in the Guruji book "If we work intelligently, with daily practice we can start to understand not only what's going on in the body, but also the fluctuations of the mind.  At first its a letting go, a softening of our attitude.  In the beginning we're striving and working towards more asanas.  But one needs to let go of that, let go of this whole goal oriented practice.  Then we need to see our condition as we are, here and now.  The next step is to be at peace with that, to actually accept our condition as we are here and now.  And from that point, practice with feeling and connection, integrating the whole body and the breath."  For some of you, 19 days of practice in November is no different from any other month other than the fact that there are more people practicing in the room.  But for others, this may be a real challenge.  Getting up early everyday usually equates to going to bed early, being mindful of what time you eat dinner (not to mention what you eat for dinner) and can overall, just feel like too much structure.   Your body hurts, it's cold outside, you need more sleep... these all seem to be valid reasons for staying in bed.  So why a daily practice?  Does it really matter if you practice 2, 4 or 6 days a week?  Let me first say, that any amount of practice is better than none.  Practice is the path to awareness and transformation and it does not happen unless you do the work.   In my own experience, when I have traveled to India with the sole purpose of practicing yoga, there was no question whether or not I would practice everyday.  If you didn't show up to the shala, no matter how much you believed you were lost in the crowd, you were sure to get asked "Where were you?" Not practicing was not an option!  And that is fine when you have traveled to India with one intention....practice yoga.  But how does that fit in to our daily lives here in Richmond where most of us have a plate full of other responsibilities throughout the day.  I really liked what Graeme Northfield had to say about daily practice.  It can feel like you are just going through the motions, doing the same asanas, same series everyday.  But what if we approach it from a different perspective.   Not a goal oriented practice but rather an observation of the present moment, staying connected to the body and letting go of the mind.  And on the days when you just can't let go of the mind, finding some joy in the experience, whatever that experience may be.  Everyday is different.  A daily practice gives you the opportunity to arrive each day and start again.

4 comments:

  1. I think a daily practice keeps the humility close at hand. It provides a guide of how to deal with each day's events mindfully. The message I took away from the workshop with Tim Feldmann was how to stop being so reactive. I can use this with a block in my back or with a short tempered boss or a beligerent child. I constantly try to remind myself not to be so reactive. A daily practice helps me accomplish that goal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today's led practice was a barometer of the difference a daily practice makes. Practicing to another's breath and count usually wears me out, today I noticed I had more stamina. I realized that I could focus on my breath, engaging my bandhas and I didn't want to go home and take a nap afterword.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today was one of those mornings for me where if it hadn't been for the commitment to come every morning this month, I would have rolled back into bed. I was more tired than usual and I had a headache. My usual justification would be that I "deserved" to sleep in. I came to practice though and at first was dragging, but I tried to work on the letting go aspect and just seeing what happened. By the time I had finished with the standing postures, I felt more energetic than I had in a long time and the headache was gone. It was a nice surprise, and I'm glad I gave myself that opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know why I try to maintain a daily practice. The studio is close to the house . . . people older and wiser than me said that to get the full benefit, you must practice everyday. . . I enjoy ritual . . .I am a creature of habit and like doing the same thing each day. . . the benefits are many --- lost weight, more flexible and stronger, not bedeviled by allergies on the practice days. . .improved concentration . . . but nothing jumps out and if you ask me tomorrow, I could have a different answer.

    Tim Miller said something in a workshop a couple of years ago that was so simple, yet remained with me ... the practice requires "effort" --- and then Tim Feldman this past weekend used the phrase "concious effort." It requires effort -- starting with the day before, what I'll eat, what time I go to bed, what time I get up and what I will not do that might jeopardize the practice.

    After a couple of years of daily practice, I think I am beginning to scratch the surface of how the practice serves me off the mat. For that I am grateful ... A daily practice reminds me how fear can control my decisions, how I do so many things unconsciously, (wow -- did I just do a sloppy jump back???), how I chose to do some things half-assed.

    I also practice daily because Alicia happened to put her studio close to my house. . . and she scheduled five days of mysore each week ---- lots of cities this size don't have ashtanga studios---- the opportunity is too unique not to take advantage of it. . . so, for that I am grateful. Thanks, Alicia.

    ReplyDelete